Who will defend the gold medal Nick Skelton and Big Star won in Rio?
The list of showjumpers nominated to represent Britain at the Tokyo Olympic Games has been announced.
Only listed combinations are eligible for selection. The squad of four combinations to travel to Japan, plus reserves, will be revealed on 28 June.
Nominated entries are:
- Scott Brash (34) based in Horsham, West Sussex, with Lady Pauline Harris and Lady Pauline Kirkham’s Hello Jefferson (bay, gelding, 16.1hh, 12yrs, s. Cooper van de Heffink, Breeder: Bernard Mols BEL)
- Harry Charles (22) based in Alton, Hampshire, with Ann Thompson and his own Romeo 88 (bay, gelding, 17hh, 12yrs, Contact van de Heffinck x Orlando, Breeder: Picobello Horses BEL)
- William Funnell (55) based in Dorking, Surrey, with The Billy Stud’s Equine America Billy Diamo (chestnut, gelding, 16.1hh, 11yrs, Cevin Z x Andiamo, Breeders: William Funnell and Donal Barnwell GBR)
- Ben Maher (38) based in Bishop Stortford, Hertfordshire, with Charlotte Rossetter, Pamela Wright and his own Explosion W(chestnut, gelding, 16.1hh, 12yrs, Chacco-Blue x Baloubet de Rouet, Breeder: W Wijnen NED)
- Emily Moffitt (22) based in Evesham, Worcestershire, with Poden Farms and Neil and Heidi Moffitt’s Winning Good (bay, gelding., 16.3hh, 12yrs, Winningmood x Sir Corland, Breeder: WFM van Gestel NED)
- Holly Smith (30) based in Loughborough, Leicestershire, with Ian Dowie’s Denver (bay, gelding, 17.1hh, 13yrs, Albfueheren’s Memphis x Chico’s Boy, Breeder: MG and AA Woertman NED)
- Alexandra Thornton (28) based in Valkenswaard, The Netherlands with Dunwalke Ltd’s Cornetto K (dark bay, gelding, 16.2hh, 15yrs, Cornet Obolensky x Calido, Breeder: Johann Krull NED)
- Ellen Whitaker (35) based in Barnsley, South Yorkshire and Europe, with Norman Oley’s Arena UK Winston (black, gelding, 17hh, 12yrs, s. Waldo van Dungen x Hamilton Tropics, Breeder: Brenda Morelli IRL)
- James Wilson (26) based in Frome, Somerset and Europe, with Heather Larson and Susan Larson’s Imagine de Muze (black, mare, 16.2hh, 13yrs, s. Nabab de Reve x Chin Chin, Breeder: Joris De Brabander BEL)
The following riders have horses as direct reserves for their horses named above:
- Scott Brash – first reserve: Lady Pauline Harris and Lady Pauline Kirkham’s Hello Senator (bay, gelding, 16hh, 12yrs, Carambole x Indoctro, Breeder: Henstra and Henstra NED) and second reserve: Lady Pauline Harris and Lady Pauline Kirkham’s Hello Vincent (bay, gelding, 15.3hh, 12yrs, Consul DL Vie Z x Fergar Mail, Breeder: Raphael Dulin and Annick Dulin Legoupil FRA)
- Harry Charles – first reserve (subject to successfully completing a Minimum Eligibilty Requirement competition): Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein and Peter Charles’ Irenice Horta (grey, mare, 13yrs, Vigo d Arsouilles STX x Diamnent de Semilly, Breeder: Wim Van Rossem BEL)
Selection decisions are subject to riders and horses maintaining fitness and performance, and this list may be amended up to 21 June 2021.
Britain’s nominated entries for dressage will be announced around 18 June. Nominated entries for the para dressage squad for the Paralympics in Tokyo will also be published then.